※ fifth wheel 多余的人
Once you feel like a fifth wheel, you’d better get away.
你一旦觉得自己是个多余的人,最好走开。
※ fink 卑鄙的家伙;讨厌的人
That fink told the professor that I cheated on the exam.
那个讨厌的家伙把我考试作弊的事儿告诉了
※ flake 不负责任的人;古怪的人;(尤指)富有个性的人
That flake promised to help me but he didn’t show up, and it has happened twice till now.
那个说话不算数的家伙答应要帮我,可连他的人影都看不见,并且到目前为止已经有两次这样的事儿了。
※ fuddy-duddy 古板的人;守旧的人
Her boss is such a fuddy-duddy, he won’t allow her to chew gum or smoke cigarettes on the job.
她的老板古板得要命,不准她在工作时嚼口香糖或抽烟。
※ gal Friday (尤指办公室里)得力的女助手或女秘书;女勤杂工
The company will hire a gal Friday next week.
这家告诉下周将聘用一名女秘书。
※ good egg 好人;正人君子
Larry is really a good egg to help us move from Reno to San Francisco.
拉里真是个好人,他帮我们从雷诺搬到了旧金山。
※ hard nut to crack 难对付的人
Wendy is such a hard nut to crack. I’ve seen her around the office for two years, but I still don’t really know her.
温迪这个人不是盏省油的灯,两年来我们经常在办公室附近碰面,但是我仍然不了解她。
※ hick 农夫,乡下人;乡巴佬,土包子
He is such a hick, he forgot to cut off the price tag on his new hat!
他真是个乡巴佬,在戴新帽子时竟然忘了把上面的价签剪掉。
※ hot number 漂亮、性感的女人
Being a hot number, she has become a model.
由于漂亮和性感,她成了一名模特儿。
※ it takes all kinds to make the world go around 大千世界,无奇不有
Don’t you think Professor Pyle is a character? Well, it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
难道你不认为派尔教授是个怪人吗?唉,这个世界就是千奇百怪!
※ Jack of all trades 能做各种事情的人,万能博士
Todd is a real Jack of all trades. He can fix your car, your watch, or your television if it breaks.
托德真是个多面手,能修车,还能修表,如果你的电视机坏了,他也能修。
※ jerk 蠢人
What a jerk! He left his girlfriend standing in the rain while he sat comfortably in his car.
他多蠢啊!让女朋友站在雨中,自己却舒舒服服地坐在车里。