3.I simply couldn't afford it.
我根本承担不起。
这是一个口头习语,根据场合可以具有“没钱”、“没时间”等意思。afford一词之前常加can, be able to ; 其且可以接名词或动词不定式。
Christmas is approaching. We can’t afford the time.
圣诞节即将来临,我们来不及等了。
We can afford one hundred and fifty yuan for a piece but no more.
我们每件可以出150 元,但更多就不行了。
We can’t afford to sit here and wait while others are making big profits.
别人在挣大钱,我们经不起坐在这里等了。
The steamer sails next Monday. We can't afford to wait.
船下星期一便启航了,我们不能等了。
The price is nsot very high. We believe people of qverage means can afford to buy.
价格不算太高,我们相信具有一般收入的人能买得起。
4.I’m afraid 15or 20 days won’t do. Getting the goods ready, booking shipping space and what not, all these take time.
15天或20天恐怕不行。备货,订舱都需要时间。
It won’t do 也是一条十分常用的习语,意思是“不行”、不合适“、”行“、合适”则说:
It will do. That will do.
Will it do if I let you have an answer by Friday?
我星期五给你答复行不行?
Sorry, the manager has an engagement for this afternoon. Tomorrow will do.
对不起,经理下午有约会了,明天可以。
It won’t do to turn down his request. He will then approach some other suppliers for his requirements.
拒绝他的请求不行,他会到其他供应商那里去购买。
It won’t do to postpone the shipment. Our custoers need the goods urgently .
装船延期可不行,我们的顾客急等货物。
5.In the meantime, I’d like you to exert yourself and get everything ready.
与此同时,我希望你们努力做好一切装船准备。
(1)I’d like you to meet my department manager.