V: Visitor来访者 R=Receptionist接待员
V: Excuse me ,please. I’m here for a meeting with Bob Appleton.劳驾,我来这和鲍勃.阿波利顿开会。
R: Oh, yes. The planning meeting. That meeting is in the conference room. 好的。计划中的会议。会议将在会议室举行。
V: Where is the conference room, please? 请问会议室在哪里?
R: It’s on the third floor, opposite the elevator在三楼,电梯对面。
V: On the third floor, opposite the elevator, Thank you… Oh, by the way, is there a men’s a room on the third floor/
在三楼,电梯对面。谢谢你。顺便问一下,男卫生间也在三楼吗?
Yes
R: Yes, there is. It’s on the left as you get off the elevator.是的,有卫生间。下电梯左边就是。
V: On the left as you get off the elevator. I see. One more question… is there a coffee shop in the building?
下电梯左边就是。我知道了。还有一个问题,这栋楼里有咖啡厅吗?
Yes
R: Yes, there’s one downstairs, across from the subway entrance.有,在楼下,对着地铁的入口。
V: Across from the subway entrance. Thank you.在地铁入口的对面,谢谢你。
在英国,人们更习惯说lift而不是elevator,他们在表达“出电梯”的时候一般说get out of the lift,而不是get off the elevator.
女洗手间叫做ladies’ room.洗手间也可以称为restroom. 在英国最常用的单词是toilet,但是,这个单词在美国被认为是比较不文明的词,所以最好不要使用它。
No
R: No, there isn’t , but there’s one on this floor. It’s right over there, next to the water cooler.
不,三楼没有。但是这层有一个,就在那边,挨着洗手池。
V: Next to the water cooler, Ok. Thank you. 挨着洗手池。好的。谢谢你。
R:You’re welcome. 别客气。
向别人问路时为了确认自己是否知道了走法,你可以把听到的内容重复一遍。
No
R: No, there isn’t, but there’s one in the hotel across the street. It’s on your right as you enter the hotel. 这里没有,但是这条街对面的酒店里有。进酒店右转就是。
在英国,除了用underground 来代替subway,伦敦地铁也被称为tube. subway在英国的意思是指(步行者用的)地下通道。