※ in a stew 乱糟糟,无所适从;杂乱无章;心烦意乱
I’m really in a stew. I lost my car keys and I have to be at work in half an hour!
我真是心烦意乱,车钥匙不见了,而且必须在半小时内赶到上班地点。
※ know which side one’s bread is buttered on 知道自己利益所在
I know which side one’s bread is buttered on. I’m not going to go against the wishes of my boss and possibly lose my job.
我知道自己的真正利益所在,所以不会违背老板的意愿,以免失去工作。
※ nest egg 积蓄,(供自己年老时用或用于特定事业的)多年积蓄的钱
I have a nest egg put away for the home I want to buy someday.
我已存了一笔钱以便将来买一所自己想要的房子。
※ on the bean 完全正确的,确切的
What you said just now was right on the bean.
你所说的完全正确。
※ sell like hot cakes 畅销,卖得快,卖得多
The manager of the department store said that this new video game was selling like hot cakes. He couldn't keep up with the orders.
那家百货商店的经理说这种新型电子游戏机相当畅销,供不应求。
※ spill the beans (无意中)泄密;(由于说错话而)坏了某事
My sister really spilled the beans when she told our father that we didn't come home until 2:00 a.m. Now we are really in trouble.
妹妹泄露了我们的秘密,她告诉父亲直到凌晨2点我们才回家。现在我们的麻烦可就大了。
※ take the cake 赢得最高的奖励或赞赏;当之无愧
I thought my car was fast, but yours really took the cake. What type of high performance engine do you have in it?
原以为我的车够快了,但没想到你的车更胜一筹。你给它装了哪种型号的高性能发动机呀?
※ talk turkey 说话坦率、中肯
I know you want $5,000 for your car, but let’s talk turkey. How much will you really take for it?
我知道你要出5000美元买这部车,但坦率地说,你到底想出多少钱?
※ that’s the way the cookie crumbles 人生哪能常如愿,命运从来多坎坷
I know you wanted that job badly and didn't get it, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.
我知道你非常想获得那份工作,但又没得到,人生哪能常如愿呢。
※ the apple of (someone’s) eye 珍爱的人或物,宝贝
The apple of my father’s eye is my little sister.
父亲的掌上明珠是我的小妹妹。