※ hang out 消磨时光
Jack likes to hang out with his friends when he is not in school.
不上学时杰克喜欢和他的朋友在外面闲逛。
※ hit it off 相处得很好,合得来,和睦相处,(相互)喜欢
When I first met my roommate, I knew we’d hit it off well together.
第一次见到室友时,我就知道外面会合得来。
※ keep (someone) posted 使(某人)了解某个特殊的情形或形势
In any event, I will keep you posted as to what happens to Mary after she gets married and moves to Canada.
无论如何,在玛丽结婚和移居加拿大后我都会让你知道她的情况。
※ keep tabs on (someone) 监视(某人)
I wish Susan would stop keeping tabs on me. Sometimes I want to study and be alone.
我希望自己不要总落在苏珊的视线里,有时我想独自学习。
※ over night 过夜
I don’t have much room in my house, but you are welcome to stay over night.
我家不大,但欢迎你在我家过夜。
※ pal 朋友(尤指“铁哥们”)
I have a few pals in Washington who can help us with this immigration problem.
我在华盛顿有几个铁哥们,他们能帮我们解决这个移民问题。
※ palsy-walsy 好朋友
Tom is my palsy-walsy, I’ve known him for years.
汤姆是我的好朋友,我认识他多年了。
※ put in a good word for (someone) 为(某人)说好话,为(某人)说情
When I see the boss, I’ll put in a good word for you and maybe you can get a job with the company too.
见到老板时,我会替你说好话,你也许能在这家公司找到一份工作。
※ rap 谈话,聊天
Let’s go over to the coffee shop and rap.
我们去咖啡店聊聊吧。
※ shoot the breeze 聊天,闲聊
Mark and his friends were sitting around table, enjoying food and shooting the breeze.
马克和朋友坐在桌旁,一边吃东西,一边谈天说地。
※ shoot the bull 谈话,闲聊;说谎;吹牛
Sam, Don’t spend so much time shooting the bull.
萨姆,别花那么长的时间闲侃。
※ sidekick 好友,密友
Many of his sidekick attended his birthday party yesterday.
昨天,许多好友都参加了他的生日聚会。