Talking about national Culture 谈论国家文化
J=Julie A=Alan
J: Is this your first visit to the States?这是你第一次去美国吗?
Yes
A:Yes, it is.是的。
J: How do you like it?你喜欢美国吗?
A: Oh, I like it a lot, but to be honest. I haven’t seen or done much yet. Can you give me any advice about what to see and do?
哦,我很喜欢,但是说实话,我没有浏览和做太多事情。你能给我一些观光的建议吗?
如果你想强调自己所说的(或者是马上就要说的)事情是真的,可以有用to be honest 来表达。
No
A:No, the first time I came here was in 1997, for a trade show. I come here quite often, in fact.
不,我第一次去美国是在1997年去参加一次展览。其实,我经常来这儿。
Yes
J: Sure. What kinds sof things do you like to do?当然,你喜欢做什么?
A:I like sports, and I also enjoy eating out.我喜欢运动,我还喜欢品尝餐馆的美食。
除了可以说eating out之外,我们还呆以说going out to eat.
J:Well, if you like sports, then I think you should go to a baseball game. It’s the national sport.
如果你喜欢运动,我认为你应该去看一场棒球赛,这是美国国家运动。
A: That’s a good idea. Now, what about American food? 这个建议很好,美国食品怎么样?
如果你想要就某个话题开始谈话的时候,我们可以说now.
J: Well, if you like spicy food, you should try Cajun cooking.如果你喜欢辛辣的食品,你可以试试印第安食物。
除了cajun之外,美国有名的地方菜还有California cuisine(加利福尼亚菜),New Engand cooking(新英格兰菜)soul food(美国南部黑人的传统食物)等。
A: Cajunb cooking? Whay’s that?印第安食物?那是什么?
J: It’s cooking that is trpicl of sothen Louisiana.那是南路易斯那州典型铁烹调方式。
No
J:I wish I could, but I’m afraid I can’t. This is my first time in the US, too!
我希望我能,但是我恐怕不能给你任何建议。我也是第一次来美国。